Pages

Monday 27 October 2014

SSTO says goodbye to Dr Minten

Dr John Minten has left his role as Dean of The School of Sport, Tourism and The Outdoors to take up a new position at Leeds Beckett University.

Dr Minten has been appointed to the role of Pro-Vice Chancellor/Dean of Carnegie Faculty at the former Leeds Metropolitan University and leaves SSTO after a decade with the School.

He commented: "I'd like to take this opportunity to say farewell and pass on my best wishes to all the staff, both personally and for your future careers.

"This is a great opportunity, but I'll be very sad to leave UCLan after 10 years here as Head of Department, then as Dean of School. I think we sometimes take for granted the changes in SSTO over the past 10 years.

"When I joined the (then) Department of Tourism and Leisure Management we had about 25 staff, fewer than 500 undergraduate students, a handful of research students and one Professor. We now have over 125 staff, 2000 students on taught programmes and well over 150 doctoral level research students. We also have a tremendously strong Professoriate.

"Ultimately any School depends on its staff, and I'm very proud of the School I am leaving. I will miss you all, but I am sure you will go from strength-to-strength in the coming years."

Dr Minten will be replaced by Dr Adrian Ibbetson, who steps up from his position as Associate Dean to become Acting Head of School.

"I have worked with John throughout his time at UCLan,” said Dr Ibbetson. "I have enjoyed working with him and have learnt a lot from him. I'm sure I speak on behalf of all the staff to say that we are sad to see him go, but we wish him all the best for the future."

Dr Minten’s Personal Assistant Sarah-Jayne Butler added: "I'd just like to echo Adrian's comments. John is a great guy who is held in high regard and will be sadly missed by many colleagues at UCLan. The School has gone from strength to strength in the five and a half years I've been working here and John leaves us in a strong position.

"Leeds' gain is definitely our loss, and I wish John all the best for his new job and the exciting challenges that lie ahead. Keep in touch!"

No comments:

Post a Comment